Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Need Seeps In

A Pretty Straightforward Recollection of Chicago This Past Week:

Tuesday
- Arrive in Chicago, tearful hugs with Colby (also: excitement)
- Walked around Julia's neighborhood for a few minutes before she called me tell me she was home
- Made yummy yums vegan pizza (it had a super thin crust - I don't know how we did it!)
- Hung out with Julia, and her sister, and her sister's friends
- Watched Purple Rain (slap! slap! muuuuusic!)

Wednesday
- Unsuccessfully scour Chicago for vegan and/or sweatshop free shoes to replace mine, which are falling apart due to some vigorous gettin' down in the D
- Julia purchases some funkay shorts
- We eat Sultan's - falafel sammiches. The falafel are SO big! 

Thursday
- Made hashabrowns and tofu scrambie
- Went to museum of contemporary art (jeff wall!!) and the art institute
- Ate at Giardoaladonoanosdoadlonsodsdoadanos [chicago style deepdeep dish] again
- Watched Repo Man

Friday
- It's my birthday! (My birthday! Get cake everyday like it's my birthday)
- Went to Dove's place and saw some musics (Gold!)
- Slept?

Saturday
- Played croquet!! Our team (with Julia: Croquet Master) won the first game but  lost the second.
- Walked around Lincoln Park - some movie set in the 20's was being filmed
- Ate at Oodles of Noodles, got tired 'a the eggiweggs
- Hung out Morgan's "apartment" (dorm) and watched "Heavenly Creatures" (so good!)
- Ran after the bus, took a taxi

Sunday
- Julia made some yummy granola
- Went to lunch with Julia, her sister, and their mom at Karyn's, a vegan place, and ate tons of food.
- Took a nap.
- Went to Ryan's collective, F*ck Mountain, and got on the roof for the most amazing view of Chicago I've seen
- Ate at an awesome Italian place

Monday
- Attempted to walk around and take some photos while Julia was in class - failed due to ouchy calves.
- Met Julia at her school and ate lunch.
- Apparently some people like Chipotle?
- Smoothies!
- Tried to walk to the lake but, again, the calves. 
- Went to Logan Square, ate at a super delicious restaurant called Lula's Cafe (I had a tagine with cinnamon cous cous, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas - and then had a life changing experience with a mint chocolate torte)

Other Things:
We kept losing the Sears tower. I kept wanting time to slow down. I wished the trains took longer. They were wearing white on Saturday. It was beautiful for the most part, and I didn't mind when it was overcast. Yesterday the shorts were a mistake, but today you'll try again. I missed my bus; I was so angry. I thought the bus was parking, but it was leaving. I felt comfortable, easy, at home and then I felt lost, alone, confused. Everything was manageable, known and plotted and then it was vast and endless, a shaking ladder that I gripped hard on the way down. The wind blew the garden away, the landlord saw the couch. The spanish movie was filmed on three cameras and involved numerous extras - the bar scene contained canola oil and cranberry juice, an empty bottle of wine. I was sick from french bread and brie. Everything was comfortable, even the futon, which was too firm for my tastes. The sidewalks felt like college. I never wanted to stop eating pizza - asian never fills me up, makes me feel whole. I felt whole. The tree was painted to the side of the building, the wine store was closed. We got our wine at CVS, and I chose carefully from the cheap stuff. Everything was electric, from the roof it was washed out and bright. The sidewalks moved beneath my feet and I wished they'd go on forever. As you wished for trees, I found salvation in the pavement, where we walked and kept walking into ever darker nights, into rooms made of candles and conversation. I could stay up all night. All the intimacy contained in a crossword puzzle. Making breakfast, not making plans, washing faces, not being embarrassed. Truthfully, honestly. We were always running for buses, stopping and running, sitting and waiting, running and hurrying, catching and missing. You knew where to go, I knew where I wanted  to be.

- Chicago, Chicago, Chicago

there's so much more
there's always - so much more

No comments: